Get your ideas blooming in May! We’re continuing the Year to a Better You with the May 6-Word Story Challenge prompts. This month’s theme is focus. Whatever you’re working toward, May is the time to refocus, recenter, and get back on track!
Year to a Better You: May 6-Word Story Challenge
May is the month to bloom, BLOOM, BLOOM! I’m sure you set some big goals for yourself at the beginning of this year, and maybe you haven’t made as much progress as you hoped. Well, now’s the time to make it happen!
As we continue our Year to a Better You, I hope you forgive yourself for any setbacks you may have experienced. Our theme for this month is Focus. May is a magical month for fresh beginnings, or getting refocused on the important things in your life. Clear out the clutter, make room for your priorities, and dust off the fears of winter.
Fill your life with laser-sharp focus!
If this is your first month participating in one of my 6-word story challenges, keep reading for all the details. This challenge harnesses your creative energy (journaling and creative writing) and put it to work, so you can be your best self!
- Each month has an assigned theme. I’ve modeled the themes based on the cycles we often experience in life. Sometimes we’re hopeful and full of imagination. Other times, it takes fierce determination and courage to make changes (don’t worry, the monthly themes will all be listed on the challenge prompts for the month).
- January: Mindfulness
- February: Gratitude
- March: Imagination
- April: Hope
- May: Focus
- June: Courage
- July: Change
- August: Determination
- September: Perseverance
- October: Inspiration
- November: Friends and Family
- December: Reflection
- Write a 6-word story each day in response to the daily prompts. Scroll down for the printable March 2018 prompts.
- TIP 1: Keep the theme for the month in mind as you write your 6-word story each day. For example, May’s theme is Focus, and the daily prompt for May 1st is “Bullseye.” I thought of an archer right away, but it also reminds me of someone hitting their goal. My response for this prompts is: She exhaled, released. Arrow flies. Bullseye! This could be a simple story about an archer. Or is it? You might interpret it as a woman releasing her fears and taking a chance on that goal she’s wanted for so long.
- Tip 2: Don’t feel any pressure to follow the prompts too strictly. They’re only meant to tickle your imagination!
What is a 6-word story?
It’s a whole story in only six words. Six. That’s all you get. Since the word count is so tight, you can get really creative with contractions, punctuation, and tone to develop your story. Some people even add sketches and graphics to add another layer of creativity. Play around with these, take chances, and above all have fun with it!
- Write whatever sparks in your mind. You are free to use the prompt words in your story, but it’s not required.
- These are YOUR stories. They don’t have to be like anyone else’s.
- If you’re feeling extra creative, try rhyming to make a 6-word poem.
Where to Share Your #6WordsBetter
- Most of the six-word story challenge takes place on Instagram. For the best chance of being featured, tag your posts with the challenge hashtags.
- #6WordsBetter (new hashtag for 2018)
- The old hashtags from the PF Six-Word Challenge still work. Use them all if you like. #PFSixWordChallenge and #PFSixWordPoems
- Feel free to tag me (@PageFlutter ) so I can give your awesome story a shoutout! (Not on Instagram? No worries; just play along on my Facebook page.)
- Subscribe to my newsletter to get my latest posts and challenge prompts delivered to your inbox!
Get creative with your 6-word stories. Dress them up with doodles, hand letter them, find a photo that helps tell your story…whatever speaks to you!
Here are a few to get you started:
- Dry-erase fumes signal brainstorming success.
- Winter surrendered to fields of flowers
- Morning songs herald the day’s mission.
Ready for bigger writing projects? Take a peek inside my writing journal for inspiration.
Year to a Better You May Prompts (Printable)
**NOTE: I realize I forgot a prompt. May has 31 days, and there are only 30 prompts. Just use the 31st as a Wild Card! Write whatever you want. 😉
**CLICK IMAGE TO PRINT**
**CLICK IMAGE TO PRINT**
Remember: It’s not about competing for the “best” 6-word story. It’s about building habits that inspire you to be your best.
So, take a few risks, immerse yourself in the theme for the month, and have fun with the challenge!
If you need a little help getting started, check out my 6-Word Story board on Pinterest. For those of you looking to turn your six-word stories into larger projects, follow my boards devoted to the craft of writing. Happy journaling!
Brainstorm with me!
Subscribe to my newsletter for Page Flutter updates, posts, and announcements.
Don’t worry, I only deliver the good stuff. No spam.
Never miss a post!
Join my mailing list for updates on new posts,
PF events, product, and special offers!
*As a bonus, you'll also get access to my community resources
in the Page Flutter Vault.