December is the last month of my Year to a Better You Challenge! Don’t quit now, because we have 31 days of 6-word stories left. Our December 6-word story prompts are centered on Reflection. As we say goodbye to 2018, now’s the time to use your 6-word stories to reflect on the past, but even more importantly, to plan for the future!
Year to a Better You: December 6-Word Story Challenge
Whew! Can you believe it’s been almost a year since we started the Year to a Better You Challenge. The challenge started as a way of blending self-improvement with my love of 6-word stories. Each day, we built better versions of ourselves, 6 words at a time!
December can be bittersweet–at least, it is for me. I love to immerse myself in everything December has to offer: spicy holiday bakes, twinkle lights, snow, cocoa and caroling…What’s not to love?
But December also brings endings. This is the part I don’t like. It’s time to say goodbye to the current year, close out the calendar, start a new planner, and count the victories (or missed opportunities) of the past twelve months.
Whether you’re feeling thrilled or melancholy that this year is coming to an end, taking time for reflection is one of life’s greatest teachers. It’s only after the dust of our busy lives has settled that we can clearly see the landscape before us.
I definitely kicked up some dust this year! I won’t pretend 2018 has been easy, but it was BIG. Before I dive into the December prompts, I thought it would be fun to do my year in 6-word stories.
- Traveled 5,981 miles (moved to Japan).
- Filled 467 journal pages with plans.
- Drank 300 cups of coffee (yum!).
- Cried 10,000 tears and flooded Wonderland.
- Ate (minimum) 25 lbs. of chocolate.
- Gave birth to one AWESOME baby.
- Had one hell of a ride.
So, as you make your way through the December 6-word story prompts, I hope you’ll use each one as a lens for your own experiences. Or you can be like me, and simply geek out over 6-word stories. Your call!
If this is your first month participating in one of my 6-word story challenges, keep reading for all the rules and details. This challenge harnesses your creative energy (journaling and creative writing) and puts it to work, so you can be your best self!
>>If you want to start from the beginning, check out the January’s post!
- Each month has an assigned theme. I’ve modeled the themes based on the cycles we often experience in life. Sometimes we’re hopeful and full of imagination. Other times, it takes fierce determination and courage to make changes (don’t worry, the monthly themes will all be listed on the challenge prompts for the month).
- January: Mindfulness
- February: Gratitude
- March: Imagination
- April: Hope
- May: Focus
- June: Courage
- July: Change
- August: Determination
- September: Perseverance
- October: Inspiration
- November: Friends and Family
- December: Reflection
- Write a 6-word story each day in response to the daily prompts. Scroll down for the printable December 6-word story prompts.
- TIP 1: Keep the theme for the month in mind as you write your 6-word story each day. For example, November’s theme is Friends & Family, and the daily prompt for December 1st is “Tradition.” My response for this prompts is: “Time gives gifts over and over.” I like imaging time as a character. She watches as we repeat our mistakes and traditions, giving them back to us when we need them.
- Tip 2: Don’t feel any pressure to follow the prompts too strictly. They’re only meant to tickle your imagination!
What is a 6-word story?
It’s a whole story in only six words. Six. That’s all you get. Since the word count is so tight, you can get really creative with contractions, punctuation, and tone to develop your story. Some people even add sketches and graphics to add another layer of creativity. Play around with these, take chances, and above all have fun with it!
- Write whatever sparks in your mind. You are free to use the prompt words in your story, but it’s not required.
- These are YOUR stories. They don’t have to be like anyone else’s.
- If you’re feeling extra creative, try rhyming to make a 6-word poem.
Where to Share Your #6WordsBetter
- Most of the 6-word story challenge takes place on Instagram. For the best chance of being featured, tag your posts with the challenge hashtags.
- #6WordsBetter (new hashtag for 2018)
- The old hashtags from the PF Six-Word Challenge still work. Use them all if you like. #PFSixWordChallenge and #PFSixWordPoems
- Feel free to tag me (@PageFlutter ) so I can give your awesome story a shoutout! (Not on Instagram? No worries; just play along on my Facebook page.)
- Subscribe to my newsletter to get my latest posts and challenge prompts delivered to your inbox!
Get creative with your 6-word stories. Dress them up with doodles, hand letter them, find a photo that helps tell your story…whatever speaks to you!
Here are a few to get you started:
- Dry erase fumes signal brainstorming success.
- Winter surrendered to fields of flowers
- Morning songs herald the day’s mission.
Ready for bigger writing projects? Take a peek inside my writing journal for inspiration.
Year to a Better You
December 6-Word Story Prompts (Printable)
Repost these prompts in your Instagram feed for easy reference. Or you can simply download the Year to a Better You December 6-word story prompts printable PDF (A5 size) and paste it into your journal.
**CLICK IMAGE TO PRINT**
**CLICK IMAGE TO PRINT**
Remember: It’s not about competing for the “best” 6-word story. It’s about building habits that inspire you to be your best.
So, take a few risks, immerse yourself in the theme for the month, and have fun with the challenge!
If you need a little help getting started, check out my 6-Word Story board on Pinterest. For those of you looking to turn your six-word stories into larger projects, follow my boards devoted to the craft of writing. Happy journaling!
Brainstorm with me!
Subscribe to my newsletter for Page Flutter updates, posts, and announcements.
Don’t worry, I only deliver the good stuff. No spam.
Never miss a post!
Join my mailing list for updates on new posts,
PF events, product, and special offers!
*As a bonus, you'll also get access to my community resources
in the Page Flutter Vault.