Out with the old… The new 6-word story challenge is here, and it’s all about making 2018 the best year ever! A Year to a Better You.
Introducing: A Year to a Better You (The *NEW* 6-Word Story Challenge)
Hello again, my creative friends! As the last few days of December slip away, I’m feeling the bittersweet flavor of change. It’s that time of year when we say farewell to the past and turn our eyes forward to meet new challenges. I admit, I’ve wanted to make big changes to the Page Flutter Six-Word Story Challenge for some time now, but the idea of saying goodbye to my old friend was a lot to process. Change it hard, ya’ll.
That got me thinking about the many difficult changes we must make in ourselves to grow into the people we want to be. That struggle to change and improve became the catalyst for my new challenge for 2018…I’m so excited about it I could burst!
Introducing my new challenge: A Year to a Better You (6 words at a time)! This challenge combines some of my favorite concepts into one glorious challenge: we’re writing 6-word stories, setting goals, finding ways to improve our lives, and we’re doing it all in our journals!
Here’s how the challenge works:
- Each month has an assigned theme. I’ve modeled the themes based on the cycles we often experience in life. Sometimes we’re hopeful and full of imagination. Other times, it takes fierce determination and courage to make changes (don’t worry, the monthly themes will all be listed on the challenge prompts for the month).
- January: Mindfulness
- February: Gratitude
- March: Imagination
- April: Hope
- May: Focus
- June: Courage
- July: Change
- August: Determination
- September: Perseverance
- October: Inspiration
- November: Friends and Family
- December: Reflection
- Write a 6-word story each day in response to the daily prompts. Scroll down for the printable January 2018 prompts.
- Keep the theme for the month in mind as you write your 6-word story each day. For example, January’s theme is Mindfulness, and the daily prompt for January 1st is “Morning walk.” As I answer the prompt on the 1st, I want to think about how mindfulness plays into my 6-word story, memoir, or poem about a morning walk.
- Don’t feel any pressure to follow the prompts too strictly. They’re only meant to tickle your imagination!
How to write a 6-word story…
Six words. That’s all you get. Experiment and have fun with it!
- Write whatever sparks in your mind. You are free to use the prompt words in your story, but it’s not required.
- These are YOUR stories. They don’t have to be like anyone else’s.
- If you’re feeling extra creative, try rhyming to make a 6-word poem.
Where to Post
- Most of the six-word story challenge takes place on Instagram. For the best chance of being featured, tag your posts with the challenge hashtags.
- #6WordsBetter (new hashtag for 2018)
- The old hashtags from the PF Six-Word Challenge still work. Use them all if you like. #PFSixWordChallenge and #PFSixWordPoems
- Feel free to tag me (@PageFlutter ) so I can give your awesome story a shoutout! (Not on Instagram? No worries; just play along on my Facebook page.)
- Subscribe to my newsletter to get my latest posts and challenge prompts delivered to your inbox!
Get creative with your 6-word stories. Dress them up with doodles, hand letter them, find a photo that helps tell your story…whatever speaks to you!
Here are a few to get you started:
- Queen’s tearoom. I ordered coffee. Oops.
- JOBS, FAMILY, MONEY…Rest, weary juggler.
- Decay from the past nourishes seedlings.
Ready for bigger writing projects? Take a peek inside my writing journal for inspiration.
Printable Prompt Sheet
**CLICK IMAGE TO PRINT**
**CLICK IMAGE TO PRINT**
Remember: It’s not about competing for the “best” 6-word story. It’s about building habits that inspire you to be your best.
So, take a few risks, immerse yourself in the theme for the month, and have fun with the challenge!
If you need a little help getting started, check out my 6-Word Story board on Pinterest. For those of you looking to turn your six-word stories into larger projects, follow my boards devoted to the craft of writing. Happy journaling!
Brainstorm with me!
Subscribe to my newsletter for Page Flutter updates, posts, and announcements.
Don’t worry, I only deliver the good stuff. No spam.