Get ready for Back-to-School with August 6-word story prompts! These are sure to kick your brain into gear after a long lazy summer. The August theme for the Year to a Better You challenge is determination.
Year to a Better You: August 6-Word Story Challenge
The August heat gets me in the mood for barbecues, fireflies, and fresh school supplies! Now is the time to soak up your summer inspiration and prepare for all those fall projects: New classes, big projects, and renewed determination for all your goals!
Maybe you’re not sure where to start on your goals. The frenetic energy of summer can derail even the most focused person, making those New Year’s goals seem somewhat distant or hazy.
I know my summer has been a minute-to-minute roller coaster! After packing up our home in Oklahoma, we hopped a plane to Japan for our craziest moving adventure yet. After two months (and a lot of culture shock), we’ve finally received our furniture and can put the suitcases away for a while. Still, I can’t help scratching my head and thinking, “Now, what was I about to do before this move started?”
Now is the time for determination, which is why that’s our August theme for the Year to a Better You 6-word story challenge! I’m not letting a little thing like an international move stop me.
Take a few minutes to consider your intentions for the last half of the year. Then use your August 6-word story prompts to amplify your determination and MAKE. IT. HAPPEN!
There are 31 days in August. That’s 31 opportunities to make the most of summer.
If this is your first month participating in one of my 6-word story challenges, keep reading for all the rules and details. This challenge harnesses your creative energy (journaling and creative writing) and puts it to work, so you can be your best self!
- Each month has an assigned theme. I’ve modeled the themes based on the cycles we often experience in life. Sometimes we’re hopeful and full of imagination. Other times, it takes fierce determination and courage to make changes (don’t worry, the monthly themes will all be listed on the challenge prompts for the month).
- January: Mindfulness
- February: Gratitude
- March: Imagination
- April: Hope
- May: Focus
- June: Courage
- July: Change
- August: Determination
- September: Perseverance
- October: Inspiration
- November: Friends and Family
- December: Reflection
- Write a 6-word story each day in response to the daily prompts. Scroll down for the printable August 6-word story prompts.
- TIP 1: Keep the theme for the month in mind as you write your 6-word story each day. For example, August’s theme is Determination, and the daily prompt for August 1st is “Step by step.” My response for this prompts is: “Boots laced. Up the mountain, feet!” Big journeys start with small acts: a single step, or simple putting on your boots. Sometimes, showing up is half the battle. Imagine another time in your own life when you had to keep moving forward one step at a time.
- Tip 2: Don’t feel any pressure to follow the prompts too strictly. They’re only meant to tickle your imagination!
What is a 6-word story?
It’s a whole story in only six words. Six. That’s all you get. Since the word count is so tight, you can get really creative with contractions, punctuation, and tone to develop your story. Some people even add sketches and graphics to add another layer of creativity. Play around with these, take chances, and above all have fun with it!
- Write whatever sparks in your mind. You are free to use the prompt words in your story, but it’s not required.
- These are YOUR stories. They don’t have to be like anyone else’s.
- If you’re feeling extra creative, try rhyming to make a 6-word poem.
Where to Share Your #6WordsBetter
- Most of the June 6-word story challenge takes place on Instagram. For the best chance of being featured, tag your posts with the challenge hashtags.
- #6WordsBetter (new hashtag for 2018)
- The old hashtags from the PF Six-Word Challenge still work. Use them all if you like. #PFSixWordChallenge and #PFSixWordPoems
- Feel free to tag me (@PageFlutter ) so I can give your awesome story a shoutout! (Not on Instagram? No worries; just play along on my Facebook page.)
- Subscribe to my newsletter to get my latest posts and challenge prompts delivered to your inbox!
Get creative with your 6-word stories. Dress them up with doodles, hand letter them, find a photo that helps tell your story…whatever speaks to you!
Here are a few to get you started:
- Dry-erase fumes signal brainstorming success.
- Winter surrendered to fields of flowers
- Morning songs herald the day’s mission.
Ready for bigger writing projects? Take a peek inside my writing journal for inspiration.
Year to a Better You
August 6-Word Story Prompts (Printable)
**CLICK IMAGE TO PRINT**
**CLICK IMAGE TO PRINT**
Remember: It’s not about competing for the “best” 6-word story. It’s about building habits that inspire you to be your best.
So, take a few risks, immerse yourself in the theme for the month, and have fun with the challenge!
If you need a little help getting started, check out my 6-Word Story board on Pinterest. For those of you looking to turn your six-word stories into larger projects, follow my boards devoted to the craft of writing. Happy journaling!
Brainstorm with me!
Subscribe to my newsletter for Page Flutter updates, posts, and announcements.
Don’t worry, I only deliver the good stuff. No spam.
Never miss a post!
Join my mailing list for updates on new posts,
PF events, product, and special offers!
*As a bonus, you'll also get access to my community resources
in the Page Flutter Vault.