The July 6-Word Story Challenge prompts are here, friend! Summer brings big adventures, which is why July’s theme for the Year to a Better You challenge is change. I’ve certainly had some big changes to deal with this summer. If you haven’t yet, now might be the time to start those wheels of change a’turnin’!
Year to a Better You: July 6-Word Story Challenge
BIG changes are all around me! If you follow my blog, you already know that my family and I moved to Japan last month. Whew! Talk about change. Within two weeks, we got a new home, two new cars, new driver’s licenses, new cell phones, and had to register our kids in new schools. Not to mention, I’m about 7 1/2 months pregnant with baby boy no. 3.
Yep, that fills my change quota for the summer! Big or small, you’re probably dealing with changes of your own. I challenge you to work that change into your Year to a Better You 6-word stories! Our theme this month is, appropriately, Change.
No matter how much we love the food, language, and culture of Japan, change is tough. In the last three weeks, I’ve dealt with minor and major setbacks. We won’t have furniture for 2-3 months, I struggle daily with the language, and my family obligations have completely overtaken my work time.
As you write your July 6-word stories, think about changes you are dealing with or the ones you want to make. Maybe it’s a new hobby, new job, or something simple like a new wall color. Visualize the results you want and embrace the inevitable setbacks. Then make it happen!
If this is your first month participating in one of my 6-word story challenges, keep reading for all the rules and details. This challenge harnesses your creative energy (journaling and creative writing) and put it to work, so you can be your best self!
- Each month has an assigned theme. I’ve modeled the themes based on the cycles we often experience in life. Sometimes we’re hopeful and full of imagination. Other times, it takes fierce determination and courage to make changes (don’t worry, the monthly themes will all be listed on the challenge prompts for the month).
- January: Mindfulness
- February: Gratitude
- March: Imagination
- April: Hope
- May: Focus
- June: Courage
- July: Change
- August: Determination
- September: Perseverance
- October: Inspiration
- November: Friends and Family
- December: Reflection
- Write a 6-word story each day in response to the daily prompts. Scroll down for the printable July 6-word story prompts.
- TIP 1: Keep the theme for the month in mind as you write your 6-word story each day. For example, June’s theme is Courage, and the daily prompt for July 1st is “Culture shock.” My response for this prompts is: “Can’t speak. Can’t read. Explore, anyway!” Anyone who has tried to adapt to a new culture knows how disorienting it can be. This story is about pushing through the fear. Life is waiting on the other side of the unknown.
- Tip 2: Don’t feel any pressure to follow the prompts too strictly. They’re only meant to tickle your imagination!
What is a 6-word story?
It’s a whole story in only six words. Six. That’s all you get. Since the word count is so tight, you can get really creative with contractions, punctuation, and tone to develop your story. Some people even add sketches and graphics to add another layer of creativity. Play around with these, take chances, and above all have fun with it!
- Write whatever sparks in your mind. You are free to use the prompt words in your story, but it’s not required.
- These are YOUR stories. They don’t have to be like anyone else’s.
- If you’re feeling extra creative, try rhyming to make a 6-word poem.
Where to Share Your #6WordsBetter
- Most of the June 6-word story challenge takes place on Instagram. For the best chance of being featured, tag your posts with the challenge hashtags.
- #6WordsBetter (new hashtag for 2018)
- The old hashtags from the PF Six-Word Challenge still work. Use them all if you like. #PFSixWordChallenge and #PFSixWordPoems
- Feel free to tag me (@PageFlutter ) so I can give your awesome story a shoutout! (Not on Instagram? No worries; just play along on my Facebook page.)
- Subscribe to my newsletter to get my latest posts and challenge prompts delivered to your inbox!
Get creative with your 6-word stories. Dress them up with doodles, hand letter them, find a photo that helps tell your story…whatever speaks to you!
Here are a few to get you started:
- Dry-erase fumes signal brainstorming success.
- Winter surrendered to fields of flowers
- Morning songs herald the day’s mission.
Ready for bigger writing projects? Take a peek inside my writing journal for inspiration.
Year to a Better You July Prompts (Printable)
**CLICK IMAGE TO PRINT**
**CLICK IMAGE TO PRINT**
Remember: It’s not about competing for the “best” 6-word story. It’s about building habits that inspire you to be your best.
So, take a few risks, immerse yourself in the theme for the month, and have fun with the challenge!
If you need a little help getting started, check out my 6-Word Story board on Pinterest. For those of you looking to turn your six-word stories into larger projects, follow my boards devoted to the craft of writing. Happy journaling!
Brainstorm with me!
Subscribe to my newsletter for Page Flutter updates, posts, and announcements.
Don’t worry, I only deliver the good stuff. No spam.